Monday, December 10, 2012

December 5, 2012

I had a great workout today! Originally, I was planning to take it as an off day, as tomorrow I am doing a VO2 Max test. But, I got a Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS and heart rate monitor. It also came with a foot pod that tracks my cadence if I am running on a treadmill or running indoors and it can't connect to the satellites. So, because I got this new toy, I needed to go and try it out.

Since the watch would tell me elevation, as well as time, heart rate, cadence and other data, I didn't want to run inside today. I talked with April about some of the places that she goes for walks with Ellie and checked her app Map My Walk to see the distances, etc... I found a course that she walks that was about 2 miles and decided that was the one for tonight. I felt great! For the first time running outside in probably a couple of years, I admit I was shocked about how I did. Since most of the beginning is down hill, I decided that I was going to try to run the first mile without stopping. I went nearly 1.25 miles before I got stopped at a stop light. I was happy that I hit the stop light as I was pretty tired. My legs were starting to get kind of heavy and I knew that the hills were coming up. When I finally got to the hills, I knew I wasn't going to be able to run the whole thing, so I decided to count out my steps and go 40 steps running, the 40 steps walking. This was great, as it kept my mind off of me being tired, as I had to count the steps out. Right at the end of the run, as I was about to turn the corner to run onto my street, a dog jumped out at me! Freaked the heck out of me and I am sure that my heart rate graph will show the spike in my elevated heart rate as it was racing!

In the end, I was really happy with my run tonight. Minus the warm-up walk around the block, it only took me 21:44 minutes to do the two miles. That is almost a 10 minute mile, which is my goal pace to run a half marathon in. The data that the watch and accessories captured were awesome to look at (check out the image below for a sample), and will be a great help to me in my training. Now I just need to save up my money to buy the accessory for the bike...


No comments:

Post a Comment