Saturday, January 26, 2013

Elevate Indoor Triathlon

January 26, 2013


Last night, I went to sleep thinking, I was going to pass on competing in the Elevate Indoor Triathlon. I guess that is what I get for thinking. Instead I woke up, and started getting all of my gear together to go and compete!

Competing in the triathlon was a lot of fun. April and Ellie had even come to support me. The indoor triathlon had a swim in two endless pools with staggered starts. The swim was 10 minutes at a minimum of 800 psi's. I swam at 1100 psi, and it gave me a time bonus.

After the swim, you ran from the pool room to the Computrainer room. I got to use my own bike, and everyone rode the same course for 13 miles. I had a really great ride, especially for being on the WiO diet where I don't get to eat any carbs at all. That being said, I still felt like I was able to maintain a decent pace, but not using all the energy that I was going to need for the run. After the triathlon was over, Greg, who is the triathlon coach at Elevate Fitness, came up and told me that I had one of the fastest bike times at 32 minutes.

After the bike, I had my transition to the run on the treadmill. If you have never done a triathlon, the feeling in your legs because of the bike ride make it really hard to start running really quickly (at least if you aren't a professional). I knew that my best 5K time is just over 33 minutes, and that I wasn't going to hit that since I hit that PR when all I had done was a run. Knowing that, I just wanted to be under 40 minutes. As the run progressed, my legs were getting incredibly heavy. I looked at my time, and I had just a half mile to go and just a few minutes to finish before I would be going over 40 minutes. At that point, I was really happy to be running on a treadmill and bumped the speed up from 5 mph to 6 mph to 7 mph to 9 mph. By doing this, I was able to finish my run in 37:58!

Overall, this triathlon was a great motivator for me. With the St. George Half Ironman coming up, I have a lot of work to do, but I know that I will be able to do it and be ready.



8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for being there with Ellie to support me! It meant a lot to me!

      Delete
  2. Way to go,Kevin!!! You are looking good. Keep it up!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty Kay! I really appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  3. Amazing job Kev! Love you! Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania! It was such a great feeling of accomplishment to complete the triathlon! Love you too!

      Delete
  4. Nice work getting your first triathlon under your belt. I'm glad you had fun! That's why we do these things, right!?! As for your watch (it's a Garmin?), it should have a multi-sport function that you can use so that you only have to hit "Lap" and it will switch from bike to T2 to run without you having to clear your time. ...and another tip is to turn your watch on pre-swim and leave it in transition. That way it will have the satellite set by the time you need it for the bike. Hope that helps! Three and a half weeks until Muncie!!! Triathlon suit

    ReplyDelete