Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A New Start

Well, to start off, let's just say that this has been an incredible 2 1/2 weeks. I had officially weighed the heaviest I have ever been, 303.5 pounds & 69% body fat, and that was just cause I had weighed myself. I had probably been bigger but hadn't realized it.

Towards the end of March I decided to try something totally crazy, the HCG diet. The HCG diet consists of consuming some drops, and eating a meager 500 calories, drinking lots of water and not exercising! This all happens over a 3 week period. I am sure that I didn't start out the right way, as there are 3 or 4 phases to the diet, and I started on phase 2. The drops basically tell your body to release the fat cells that it is storing and it consumes that energy source to make up the difference of what you don't eat.

The first three days really sucked, the days that my stomach seemed to be shrinking at the speed of light! I was always starving and the only thing I could do to help it was to drink as much water as I could. At first I enjoyed some of the meals that I was eating. However, the diet is very restrictive and you can only consume certain foods. Before long, everything I ate became super boring. The worst part was that my sense of smell had increased and everything everyone else ate smelled so good and it made me crave it even more!

I am now on the last few days of the diet. I have gone from 303.5 to 266, a loss of 37.5 pounds, almost 40 pounds!! And the last time I weighed myself to find out my body fat, I had gone from 69% to 53%, a loss of 16% body fat! Don't get me wrong, I still have a long way to go! My goal weight is 180 pounds and 10% body fat, another 86 pounds to lose and 43% body fat.

Tonight I broke down and exercised. It was only 30 minutes, but it has to start somewhere! It was a nice walk that broke into a slow jog, to burn off 300 calories and go nearly 2 miles.

I am gearing up to start P90X now and hoping that will help me drop another 30-50 pounds. Running and road biking will become a common activity over the summer, something that I have missed A TON because of how big I was getting. This blog will be my journal for keeping track of my workouts and how I feel they went, etc... So if you are reading this blog, and you aren't seeing 4-5 posts a week, say something!


4 comments:

  1. You are awesome Kevin! I liked the hcg, but like I said I am the type of person that can't do the diets where I starve myself. I have just been eating really healthy. No carbs all wheat. Lots of fruits and veggies and lots of exercise. I was about 250 lbs after I had my baby and am down to 195, but want to be at 145 so I have another 50 lbs to go, but I just can't get past this plateau. I am going to start running maybe biking to see if I can get past it! The way my dad lost weight was by cycling classes at golds gym. You might try that! It kicks your butt!! Good luck with the hcg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Kevin! It takes a lot of "ump" to change things for the better. Keep it up! You're an inspiration. I'm glad I exercised this morning before I read your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, Kevin. Work hard!

    BTW, I'm not trying to be a butt or anything, but you said if you weren't posting 4-5 times a week that I should say something. This is my way of saying something.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep checking the blog, but no updates :-(

    ReplyDelete